We have searched for the best food to improve brain power, so you don’t have to. So let’s get into what food for the brain will nourish it.
Our lives are often stressful and chaotic, filled with useless information. So it is only logical we sometimes forget what we were supposed to remember. Other times, we’ll have a sudden brain fog. Anyone concerned about their brain’s performance has at least once tried to find out how to boost brain power. It’s always helpful to increase memory power and improve brain function. Especially as we age and our mental health starts to deteriorate. One of the natural ways to do it is to consume the foods that help the brain.
The brain is one of the most vital organs inside our bodies, if not the most. It controls every human activity and provides us with the ability to think. Without our advanced brains, we are nothing but animals. So let’s help the brain – it’s a good idea to keep your brain in good shape. Unfortunately, no magic pill can prevent cognitive decline as you age. The best strategy is to follow a healthy diet plan and stick to it.
What is brain food?
Have you ever felt how the food you ate affected your brain function and energy levels? Incidentally, food influences your mental health more than you know. Thus, we must be aware of foods that help the brain function. A proper diet and what you drink will even help you with weight loss or gaining weight.
According to Draxe, “Brain foods are those that are rich in antioxidants, healthy fats, vitamins and minerals. They provide your brain with energy and aid in protecting brain cells, which helps ward off development of brain diseases.” This, in general, means that a poor-quality diet can end up damaging your brain. It can also cause a “number of mental/cognitive conditions, including dementia, cognitive impairment and Alzheimer’s disease, among other age-related issues.”
We will help you adjust your eating habits quickly and not let this happen to you. So keep reading, as next, we are covering the best brain foods.
Best food to improve brain power
Some of the best food choices for your brain are:
- oily fish, such as salmon, tuna, trout, or sardines, which are rich sources of omega-3 fatty acids
- dark chocolate and cocoa are filled with flavonoids, caffeine, and antioxidants and are known to help with memory, learning, and boosting mood
- coffee and green tea improve brain function and have many positive effects on the brain, such as increased alertness and concentration, while long-term consumption can reduce the risk of neurological diseases
- berries, such as strawberries or blueberries, have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects, which can help you postpone brain aging and/or neurodegenerative diseases
- nuts and seeds contain healthy fats, antioxidants, and vitamin E; this may explain their beneficial effects on brain health
- whole grains, such as brown rice, barley, oatmeal, and whole-grain pasta, are another way to benefit from the effects of vitamin E
- avocados are a great source of healthy unsaturated fat and may reduce high blood pressure, which then lowers the risk of cognitive decline
- peanuts and other legumes contain plenty of unsaturated fats and protein to keep one’s energy levels up throughout the day
- eggs provide several nutrients tied to brain health, including vitamins B6 and B12, folate, and choline
- fiber-rich greens, such as broccoli, kale, and spinach, are packed with potent plant compounds, including antioxidants and vitamin K, which can improve your memory and help slow down cognitive decline
You can read this helpful Healthline article to learn more about how each of those foods will help improve your brain function.
The Mediterranean diet is the safest and fastest diet for weight loss and one of the healthiest. It includes many foods from the list and is known for its variety. The only difference is that as much as eggs can help the brain, they are recommended sparingly in this plan. It is versatile, nutrient-rich, and tasty, emphasizing fruits, vegetables, olive oil, fish, and other healthy fares. The best thing is that anyone can follow it.
We have made this simple infographic on the best brain foods to make it easier for you, so feel free to share it with your friends or use it as a reminder.
Track the effects and results
Beyond adjusting the diet, make sure to closely follow your intake. If you take any food on this list and stuff yourself to death with it, do you think it will help your brain function improve? Likewise, make sure that you’re not overeating or eating too little.
Through trying various diets, I have found that I function best when eating meat. Don’t get me wrong, I will eat veggies, cheese, fruits, or other healthy options to help me improve. But, if I have to be entirely focused because I’m, for example, driving or working on something crucial, I will eat meat such as tuna or chicken. The cheese or cream will only make me doozy and sleepy, and I’m no good when I get like that.
So, figure out what works for you and what doesn’t. Maybe a nice red meat steak will give you more focus and memory power than it does to me. Try things out, and play around, but stay inside the lines of what a healthy diet for a healthy brain should look like.
What else can you do to optimize brain function?
There are a couple of habits outside of dietary choices that you should adapt to have your brain function even better:
- getting enough sleep
- staying hydrated
- regular exercise
- reducing stress and anxiety
- avoiding alcohol and tobacco
You can always complement your healthy diet with nootropic supplements to improve your progress. They are also known as ‘smart drugs’ and ‘cognitive enhancers’ and can improve brain function. Who doesn’t like a natural pill that boosts your brainpower almost right away?
Some foods contain antioxidants that help protect you from damaging your brain. Others contain nutrients that support memory and brain improvement. Including these foods in your diet can improve your brain health, memory, and mood.
Many foods can keep your brain healthy. There are so many healthy foods that you can’t say you didn’t find something for yourself. Every person will find something on this list that they like to eat. It’s crucial to keep going and not give up. Stop consuming foods and drinks that can negatively impact your brain. On top of the list are sugary beverages, alcohol, and junk food. Even playing brain games such as sudoku can improve brain function.
Disclaimer: The information in this article is provided for general and educational purposes only and does not constitute any legal, medical or professional advice. Although this article aims to improve healthy living, always seek your doctor’s advice with any questions you may have regarding any serious medical condition.